About Bus Rapid Transit
The BRT is sometimes described as a surface subway. It has a specialized design to improve system quality and remove any regular causes of delay. In order to be considered a real BRT, there should be a designated lane way solely dedicated to buses to avoid congestion.
A true BRT also includes:
- Project will extend from Heron Station to Bayshore Station
- City's Transportation Mater plan wants to implement:
- Baseline Station to Heron Station (Phase 1 by 2031)
Transit Priority Measures (Jump lanes, removal bus trays, traffic signal priority)
- Bayshore Station to Baseline Station (Phase 2 post 2031)
- BRT will provide better service to communities just outside of the Western Lite Rail service.
- Will provide efficient and reliable transit choice while connecting riders to other rapid transit corridors.
- Preferred Baseline roadway design will include two traffic lanes, a median bus-only lane, protected cycle track and sidewalk going in each direction.
- Recommended plan was presented at the fourth and final Open House on September 29, 2016.